Brief Course Description:
This course is designed to introduce students to effective communication skills
Course Learning Outcome:
By the end of this course a student should be able to:
- Describe the various modes of communication
- Communicate effectively
- Introduction to Communication: communication process, principles of effective communication, Interpersonal Skills: interactions, teamwork, office dynamics, meetings, etiquette, emotional intelligence.
- A letter, report writing, and other Writing Skills: grammar and sentence construction, writing notes, minutes and agenda, formal documentation (technical, academic, CVs, e.t.c), referencing, informal documentation (blogs, websites).
- Reading Skills: critical reading, interpretations, making summaries, indexing, map reading, library skills
- Oral presentations: Visual and multimedia presentations, speaking and listening Skills, making speeches, non-verbal communication, the art of persuasion, interviews, public speaking.
- Examination Skills: preparing for examinations, writing examinations (question/answer approaches).
- Electronic communication applications (e.g. Skype) and collaborative applications such as Google Drive.
Mode of Delivery:
Lectures, practicals, student presentations
Final Examination 50%
- Bovee, C.L., Thill, J.V., Schatzman, B.E. (2008). Business Communication today; SeventhEdition. New Dehli: Pearson Education
- Cottrell, S. The Study Skills Handbook Fourth Edition. 2013
- Fairbairn, G. J. and Winch, C. Reading, writing and reasoning (3rd ed. 2010) 428.40711 FAI
- Alan Barker. Improve Your Communication Skills Volume 39 of Creating Success Series. Third Edition, Kogan Page, Limited, 2013
- Lectures 0
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 55 hours
- Skill level All level
- Language English
- Students 27
- Certificate No
- Assessments Yes